It is important to know how to build a dental assistant resume if you are looking for a job. How to capture the interest of employers with your resume?
First of all, any good resume should be personal and specific to the job sought. Certain important elements therefore add significant weight to your application. In order to tip the scales in your favor, Carrière Dentaire shares with you judicious advice on writing a CV for find a job as a dental assistant.
Find out everything there is to know about working as a dental assistant and our tips to help you land a job.
Dental assistants work mainly in private or public clinics or dentists' offices. Their job is mainly to help dentists treat patients with oral problems. The main difference between a dental hygienist and a dental assistant is that the hygienist can treat some patients individually.
As for the assistant, as his title indicates, he is responsible for assisting the dentist in most of his operations such as :
- the elimination of tartar;
- the placement of dental fillings and the treatment of cavities;
- reconstruction of chipped or broken teeth;
- extraction and devitalization etc.
What are the main functions of the dental assistant?
Before submitting a dental assistant resume, we suggest that you learn more about the responsibilities of a dental assistant. Typically, dental assistants perform several tasks within a dental office, such as:
- Preparation of patients for dental examinations performed by the dentist and support of the dentist during the examinations;
- Sterilization and maintenance of medical instruments and equipment;
- Taking and developing X-rays;
- Polishing of teeth and crown and application of fluoride and sealant;
- Preparation of instruments and any mixture necessary for fillings;
- Taking of preliminary impressions of diagnostic casts;
- Fabrication and insertion of crowns and temporary restorations;
- Took care of the invoicing;
- Take the time to educate the patient about dental hygiene;
- Take care of the appointment booking as well as informing the client about the treatments he will receive;
- Ensures the smooth operation of the practice by ensuring that dental and office supply orders are taken care of;
- Excellent customer service.
Although dental assisting training is less demanding than that of a hygienist or dentist, it is necessary to access employment. To become a dental assistant, you must have successfully completed a college program, or any other program (DVS) of at least 8 months to one year in dental assisting. If you have a high school diploma, you can also take on-the-job training to become a dental assistant. Visit a sample CV for a dental technician.
It is also important to note that in Quebec, no dental assistant is authorized to perform intraoral tasks.
What are the main characteristics of the dental assistant profession?
What qualities will catch the eye of potential employers on a dental assistant resume?
Here are some of the most sought-after values in the field.
- Methodical and Social: A good dental assistant enjoys working with people and being able to receive and follow directions from the dentist. The assistant must also be good with his or her hands, as he or she must handle medical equipment and instruments to perform his or her duties.
- Interpersonal Skills: The dental assistant has good communication skills, both with colleagues and patients.
- Be a member of recognized associations depending on your province, for exampleAssociation of Dental Assistants of Quebec.
- Have received the necessary training to become a dental assistant.
How to write a dental assistant CV?
If you are at the beginning of your career and have little professional experience to add to your curriculum, we strongly recommendadd a cover letter for dental assistant to your curriculum. A well-written cover letter will arouse the dentist's interest and help you put all the chances on your side.
A marketing tool for you
Think of your cover letter and resume as the best way to sell yourself. So use language that is clear, crisp and precise, but also personalized. Make sure your personal information is easily accessible and up-to-date. Don't hesitate to use humor in your letter if that is your personality. Not only will this make your letter more interesting to read, but it will also give potential employers a good idea of who you are.
Avoid repeating yourself
Don't make the mistake of repeating information found in your resume! Instead, explain why you are interested in the job and what you can bring to the company. Watch for spelling errors and use key words such as "patient intake," "diary and inventory management," "computer software proficiency," etc.
Resume template for dental assistant
There are many dental assistant resume templates available online. Be sure to choose a template that suits you. We also recommend that you do not simply "fill in the blanks" which could show a lack of initiative or creativity. Although your resume should be sober, it is important that it be original in order to represent you well.
European resumes tend to include photos, but these photos are not necessary. We therefore recommend choosing a resume template such as those offered on the createuncv. All you have to do is personalize it so that it represents you effectively. Visit a sample resume for a dental hygienist.
Find a dental assistant job with Carrière Dentaire
With our experience in the dental field, we would like to offer our help to employers and to all those who wish to develop a career in the dental field. If you are looking for a job as a dental assistant, do not hesitate to submit your CV for dental assistant with us.
If you have any questions regarding the work of a dental assistant or if you need help with your application, please contact us. We will answer all your questions and clarify all your doubts with great pleasure.